With school holidays fast approaching Fulcrum Suspensions have put together a few tips to stay safe on the roads these holidays. Road trips are by far one of the most popular pastimes for families during the holidays whether the trip is the holiday or whether you are towing a caravan or camper trailer to a holiday destination we all know how busy the roads can get during the holidays.
There are plenty of things families do to prepare for a holiday, but one point that is often forgotten is checking the vehicles components. At Fulcrum Suspensions we offer a comprehensive steering and suspension safety check and we strongly encourage everyone to get one before heading off on their trip. This check looks over all the steering and suspension components of the vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
To help you stay safe on the roads these holidays here are some holiday driving tips;
- Be realistic, this includes time leaving and the distant travelled in one day or by one driver
- Be well rested before leaving
- Prepare the car, this includes not only packing all the necessities but ensuring it is mechanically sound to keep you safe
- No mobile phones and minimal distractions
- Keep the kids entertained
- Check your tyre pressures – including the spare!
- Be aware of all your surroundings while driving and further ahead than the car in front
- Hold the steering wheel with your left hand at 9 and your right hand at 3 (imagine it’s a clock face)
- As a passenger make sure you don’t have your feet on the dash – this is for airbag safety
- Look both ways when approaching a green light – just in case someone else isn’t paying attention
- When merging bring yourself up to speed with the traffic and position yourself alongside two cars, indicate and merge across
- Ensure your mirrors are adjusted correctly – you need to have a clear view behind and beside you
- Not only is it important to have your vehicles steering and suspension components checked -you also need to make sure your servicing is up to date
- Pack the car correctly and ensure all luggage is stowed away to prevent it becoming a projectile
- Leave a safe distance between you and the car in front
- Avoid stopping in the breakdown lane – it’s a dangerous spot to be
- Keep left unless overtaking
- Be patient on the roads
- Familiarise yourself with and check your lights, including your fog lights and when you should be using them
- Drive to the conditions, whether that is in high pedestrian volume areas, rain, fog or heat
- Avoid alcohol consumption – it impairs your ability to cope with emergencies
- Remember the same tips on the way home too!
Book in with your local Fulcrum Suspension store to have your vehicle checked before you head off on your next trip!